Saturday, March 21, 2015

Big Blessings

They come in small packages.

     Some of mine are blonde, and some are bald. Some of them greet me every morning, no matter how grouchy or tired I may be, with a " Morning Mommy!" as though its the first day of the rest of their lives! And some just smile up at me and gurgle from the crook of my arm (the only place she will sleep peacefully). Some of them display excitement at all the little things. As though nothing can go wrong if we are having doughnuts for breakfast! And some of them greet me with coffee and burned toast, " Look Mom! I made you breakfast!". Ahhhh. Big Blessings, small packages.



   Jesus said we are to be like little children. O how I envy them! The joy they find in the changing of seasons. The wonder of butterflies. The gratitude in small favors. The trust they have and sense of peace and stability. The fun they can have with simple toys. The love they give, willingly, abundantly, without restraint. Its the example God gave us. To be like children. How blessed I am to be surrounded with children! 

   But of course I don't always feel blessed. Some days are more difficult than others. The days where it feels like you just do "damage control" and clean up behind littles   all   day   long. Or where you have cleaned up more poop than you ever would have imagined. Or where you are reminded that Yes Indeed we are born sinners. The days where you feel very alone and in an uphill battle. Where you feel like you just want quiet. The days when you feel completely inadequate to fill everyone's needs.

   I think all Mamma's have days like this. Days that end in feeling defeated. Days that end in dirty dishes, mountains of laundry, and possibly tears. Close to the edge of despair. At least for me, that feeling of inadequacy, as though you will never quite be enough, that qualifying as a "good" mommy is just out of reach. That feeling is always bearing down, waiting for a weak moment to sweep in with every doubt and fear of motherhood, marriage, and just life that you have ever had.  That burden is so heavy. It waits until my weakest moment to fall upon my shoulders and whisper..."Give up...it will never be enough... you are failing... your children will suffer because of you ...give up".

  "My burden is light and my yoke is easy" And I remember the gospel. I remember that I was made with a purpose. I remember that God doesn't expect me to be perfect, only to love Him and love others. That dirty dishes are not a sin. And that false guilt is deceitful and does not come from the fountain of Truth. And I feel that burden lift, sweet relief!  How quickly do I forget to live in the light of the gospel. And with eyes wide open again I can yet see my beautiful blessings.

  I have to say I had many more tearful days when I only had one or two children than I do now at four. The difference is not how many children you have, how much money you make, how well your marriage is, or how clean your house is. The difference is only in how close you are to Jesus. Jesus is the difference. That is it. It is living in the light of His Word, the truth of the gospel. And then walking out that truth. Grace,grace,grace. Remember His grace for you, and extend that grace to others.

  So Momma-who-is-overwhelmed, you are NOT alone. God has given you a special calling and made you with a purpose. His burden is light and his yoke is easy. Go jump in the shower and turn up the music. You will get to the dishes. Go grab your bible and absorb some truth. The laundry can wait. Really. And look at your blessings. Listen to them.

   One day your little blessings will no longer be little. And your laundry will no longer be big. And no one will remember if that closet was organized, or if their socks match. So pray. And then "Let it go.. let it go.." yep... you can sing that song one more time. And soak in your little blessings.

   Be encouraged! Have you had one of those days or moments?


No comments:

Post a Comment